The Moysa Kiddos

The Moysa Kiddos

January 21, 2010

be prepared

To all you mommy's out there...do you know what to do if your child chokes??? If you don't, look it up. I, unfortunately/fortunately do. I say unfortunately because no one should ever have to do what is necessaryto keep your little one from choking...but at the same time I am very fortunate that I know what to do and seem to do it well. This i know cause Grey decided to choke the other night. I am not talking food went down the wrong pipe so you cough type choke...I'm talking about food stuck in his throat type choking. This happened because he thought he was being funny taking a bite of each chicken dino super fast with out chewing.... this lead to chicken being lodged in his throat. So I jumped into action, threw him over my arm, head down and swiftly hit him between his shoulder blades. Now, this technique they say to use on younger children, but I am not comfortable with how they say to do it on a two year. They say to lay them on their backs and swiftly press in and up on their stomach... that just seems like the food would make its way up, but then immediately go back down. So I did it the way I am comfortable... it took two times, but he finally spit the food out and started crying. Crying is the best sound in the world to hear after that incident...it means air is getting into his lungs. So we calmed Grey down, made a few jokes to make him laugh and lighten the mood....poor little guy had a detailed gag reflex and proceded to vomit on the kitchen floor. At that point we decided it was time for a bath and no more food. It was a very scary situation, but at the same time I was super calm cause I knew what to do. Please mommies... take the time to look up how to deal with a choking child...I hope you never have to do it, but if you do you will be prepared.
I am thankful that my little dude is ok..he is my everything!!!

1 comment:

jbel said...

good for you for being educated

drew always says kids can rebound fast, but they can also crash FAST so every second counts!

glad the food came out and all was well.